1. Expect to see an increase in communication from our committee going forward.
2. The committee held its third meeting last night, January 12. Prior meetings were held on November 10 and December 1.
3. The committee has been at a low level of activity up until now, perhaps primarily because of the unexpected uncertainty of our interim rector situation.
4. The next few committee meetings are scheduled two weeks apart, on January 26, February 9, and February 23. Because of the confidential nature of the work, meetings are not open to the public, but we want you to know when meetings are occurring.
5. Primary activity for the committee and the parish on the rector search, over approximately the next 50 days, will be to reach consensus on who we are, who we want to become, and what qualities we want in our next rector.
6. We plan at least 3 parish roundtable meetings:
a) Sunday Feb 1, 8:45 AM, Van Schaick room.
b) Sunday Feb 1, 11:15 AM, Van Schaick room.
c) Monday, Feb 10th, 6:30 PM, Van Schaick room, pizza or equivalent, kids OK.
These dates set tentatively, may change, stay tuned. Goal is to gather views. We are looking for information flow from parishioners to committee.
7. We also hope to have several "cottage meetings" of smaller groups to ensure that everyone has a voice.
8. Product of these meetings and the CAT survey will be a current Parish Profile, describing us, and a Ministry Portfolio, describing who we are looking for and what we can offer them.
9. How all friends of St. James can participate in the search committee's work right now:
a. Pray for us regularly. A Prayer for Guidance is in this bulletin below, in the Sunday program, and on the website under "Rector Search".
b. Complete the CAT. As of today, more than 100 parishioners had completed this survey. (The questions regarding interim rector have been removed.)
c. Come to one or more of the upcoming group meetings.
d. Think about successful churches and promising rector candidates at other churches around the country you may have had contact with. Pass on tips to any of us on the committee, even if you don't know if a particular rector or assistant rector is interested in making a change. e. Let us know how we can communicate with you on your terms, in your preferred manner. We’ll try to oblige.
10. There's a limit to how much information can be put into these bulletins and into the Chimes. For the most extensive and up-to-date information on our committee's work, please see the "Rector Search" tab at the top of the St. James webpage: http://www.sjbts.org/rector-search.html. At the moment I write this on January 13, there is limited information on that page, but that is a good place to keep an eye on, going forward.
Lee Wagner St. James Search Committee, Communications firstname.lastname@example.org